Keep your holiday trees well-watered. Dry and neglected trees can easily catch fire from a short in electrical lights or lit candles, lighters and matches.
- Before your tree burns your house down, be fire smart with these USFA tips:
- Place the tree away from heat sources and exits.
- Use only non-flammable decorations.
- Inspect lights for frayed wires or other defects before use.
- Don’t leave lights unattended and turn off holiday lights at night. Keep natural tree stands filled with water at all times anddon’t let your holiday tree dry out.
- If the tree becomes dry, discard it.
Find extra holiday, Christmas tree and fire safety information, videos, and graphics on the U.S. Fire Administration Holiday Safety page.« Return to news listing